Tuesday, March 16, 2010

In keeping with the green theme.....

It didn't occur to me when I started this blog that St. Patricks day was so close. I went to a breastfeeding support group this morning and the topic of discussion was Green Parenting! Well, to be honest, I've never considered myself "green" at all. Until today. The group leader was going through a list of ways to be a green parent (or some for just being a green person in general) and our family does almost every one! Yay for us! I am going to list some of these green things and talk about how they work for us in a minute, but I'd like to take a moment to talk about the "greenest" thing I've ever done. BREASTFEEDING. Our son is almost 13 months now and has never had a drop of formula. Am I bragging, yes. Am I proud, absolutely. It wasn't always easy or fun. But it was always the BEST choice for my Son and that was always reason enough for me to keep trying. Breastfeeding is overlooked when it comes to being green. Do you realize how much MONEY, WATER, TIME, PLASTIC, etc is saved by breastfeeding? I think they told us today that it would save the WIC office about 4 million dollars annually if every WIC recipient breastfed for at least one month! WHOA! You can calculate your personal money saved on formula at http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/prepare/bfcostbenefits.html I saved my family about $2, 500 dollars in the last year by breastfeeding alone! (Honey, how do you feel about that Coach bag NOW?!?)
This doesn't even take into account water, time, bottles, etc. Breastfeeding is CHEAP. You will NEVER hear me say that it's easy, especially the first few weeks, but it does get easier with time! Okay, that's my breastfeeding soapbox, which I am usually standing on 24/7! HAHA

Moving on. Ways to be a green parent/person: And might I add that in addition to being better for the environment, each of these things has monetary and health benefits, it's a win-win all around!
1. Cloth diapers. They're EASY folks. There's an initial startup cost, but it's worth it in the end. They take very little water or detergent to wash and it's actually BETTER to dry them outside in the sun (the sun bleaches any visible stains). Causes less diaper rash and is more comfortable for baby...I mean really, do you want that diaper on YOUR butt?
2. Make your own baby food. You know exactly what's going into baby's food, it's CHEAP, it's easy and you can save big time on containers by using reusable containers to store the food!
3. Grow your own food!
4. Hang your clothes to dry.
5. Use natural cleaners. My favorite things to clean with are white vinegar and lemons. Do I use other cleaners? Of course, I didn't say I'm a 100% green crunchy tree hugger, but I do TRY!
6. Buy used! Um Once Upon a Child anyone?! I LOVE resale shops, yard sales, consignment sales, and of course the best......hand me downs! I'm all about saving a penny and the environment too!

Okay, I'm done for now. Of course these are just the things that WE to in our house to help with money, health and environment. What are some ways you and your family are being "green"?

No comments:

Post a Comment