Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Green......snot :(

I promise I'll let the whole "green" thing go......tomorrow. It's just worked so well for me this week!
Back on subject, the green snot. Ugh. Every kid gets colds, right? But so many? I have to wonder what I'm doing wrong. John (my 13 month old) has had several colds/ear infections since December, including two severe double ear infections and RSV (non-severe). Also an ear infection that didn't respond to initial antibiotic therapy. I want to do the best for my son, without a doubt, so I of course had to do research on the use of antibiotic therapy for AOM (acute otitis media-ear infection). AAP has a pretty recent statement regarding the use.
I can't figure out for the life of me why this kid gets so many ear infections. I breastfeed him. I breastfed him exclusively for 6 months and then quite frequently after that and still do! He doesn't go to daycare, I keep my house clean, he does still have a paci, but I doubt that's the cause. I remember calling my mom and saying "But MOM I breastfeed him. He's not SUPPOSED to get ear infections." I love my mom, her response "Some unlucky kids just get them, sorry." Ugh really? Thanks Mom. (and in her defense, she breastfed my sister Mary exclusively and MJ had 13 infections her first year of life so she DOES feel my frustration).
After reading the AAP recommendations I do feel like I'm doing what I should do. I don't usually jump right away and take him to the doc. I let him go 24-48 with symptoms and see if it gets better on it's own.....just in case it's viral. So far that hasn't worked well for us. In February I was convinced it was viral and I was going to "let it ride out" since it had only be 3 weeks since he had ended antibiotic therapy for an infection (and yes we had him followed up and there was NO remaining infection). Only after 4 days when I took him, Dr. Erwin took a peek at his ears and literally said "Oh eewww, John, you poor thing no wonder you're grumpy." Great. Thanks, guess no mother of the year award here. I did give him tylenol for pain.....does that count? haha.
Anyway, he was dx with another one last Thursday (less than a month since those double infections....that had cleared up at follow up). He seemed to get better after 24 hours on the antibiotics for a few days and then last night I noticed him sticking his fingers in his ears and the green snot was back. Oh what to do?! We still have a few days left on the antibiotics and a follow up next week. I guess we'll keep playing it by ear!


1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of the fun we had with all of Skyler's ear infections. She would get double ear infections every time she got sick. Long story short, she got tubes in her ears at 14 months and hasn't had another ear infection yet! (almost a year now) I wish you luck but after so many infections the doctor will suggest the tubes. Hang in there.

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete