Well, so far, so good. For me anyway. We have had to make some important decisions together about some money that we just weren't ready to stop spending. There's the obvious tithes that I didn't cover in our original agreement. So, of course, we will continue with that. We also did not think about charity. Normally, we aren't the type of people to just regularly give money to charity. But, we are the BBQ Plate, raffle ticket kind of people. We went to a benefit for our dear friend, Bigun, on Saturday. Bigun is a young man who married my best friend from high school, she is also the mother of our Goddaughter, our first baby, Mackenzy. We love him like he is family, there's no doubt about that! So we bought 3 bbq plates and $1.50 worth of cake walk tickets. We left the benefit with full bellies, 2 pound cakes (yeah that is going to grandma's house tomorrow) and a stuffed hippo for Maggie. We spent $22.50 and had a wonderful time. Well worth the money spent. We also bought 3 tickets for another raffle. The father of one of our friends passed away from cancer a week and a half ago. a couple of other friends were doing a raffle and tickets were $25 for three. We bought three. I WON something! WOOHOO I won a haircut from a salon in Greenville. I know what you're all thinking, the MASTAH does her fabulous hair. I know, I know, but free is free so Phoi Phillips at Matt Holder will be cutting this head. WITH approval from Heather, THE MASTAH, at Salon Circa (shameless advertisement, I know). Our final charity this week was a $50 donation to the NC Fallen Firefighters Fund. You know, the whole facebook cold water challenge craze.....it worked. So $50 is going to that charity. I'm not sure there is any GOOD financial justification for participating in charity. Other than we just think we should. It's important for us to give to others. Trust me, and I hope most of you never know, but it's damn scary to be in a tight spot or to face the possibility of losing things. We've been there, and we've been "loved" in so many ways by others. I'll get to that in just a minute, but I want to finish talking about the money first.
I did go grocery shopping this week. And by shopping at Aldi, and making a really serious effort to use up things we have at home, I've come in well under budget on food. Wednesday night I made a BUNCH of waffles and pancakes for supper. Then we froze the rest. So the kids have been having that for breakfast this week. Thursday night we had baked chicken and we made a lot of it. So Friday we had chicken salad and I made a pot of black beans that had been sitting around forever. On Saturday we had the benefit, so we had bbq. And then we had chicken fajitas (made with leftover chicken, black beans, peppers, and onions). Today, Sunday we ate at a party and brought home leftovers. So far we are doing great. George has bought two pepsis, although he HAS bought them at the fire department where they are cheaper. I bought one gatorade yesterday because I had a headache. Overall I feel like we are doing okay. I think it is at the very least challenging us to THINK before we spend anything at all. We are also writing down every penny spent so we can evaluate the month. And I mean every penny, down to george's 55 cent pepsi!
I want to spend a few minutes writing about "today" as in June first. But I think it would be better suited for a separate post.
No comments:
Post a Comment