Sunday, September 30, 2012

Go away black cloud!

I've been attempting to write this post for a couple of days. It's been a busy weekend, but I find it important that I write this. On Friday, I laid Maggie down for her morning nap as usual. About 3 minutes later I heard an awful scream from her room (she sleeps in a toddler bed). I ran in there and found her standing there with a metal coat hanger, not wire, but thick metal, stuck in her throat. She was pulling at it, coughing, gagging and bleeding. I tried to get it out and it wouldn't come, it was too far down so I stuck my fingers down in her throat and loosened the hanger and freed it. She was still hysterical and bleeding. I called my dad, who lives next door and had him come over to watch John. I called George (he was on shift at the fire department) and told him to meet me at the pediatric ED. I threw her in the car and left. When we got to the ED the bleeding had stopped and she was calm. It seemed that she had not punctured anything serious, but I still wanted to have her checked out. They did a chest xray to make sure nothing broke off in her, and they looked in her throat. The doctor determined that the abrasion or puncture was further down in her throat than he could see. But she was talking, she was breathing okay, they made her eat and drink and seemed to be doing all things well. He decided that it would be more traumatic to her (and us!) to do a scope to see what we already knew was there, especially if we didn't need to fix anything. They said she may cough up a little blood or throw some up but otherwise she was very lucky. She had a lot of pain for abotu 24 hours and still grabs at her mouth if she coughs, but she's fine now. All in all, the incident was traumatizing, but turned out okay. I just want everyone to make sure they get rid of all metal or wire hangers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment